It is frequently tough to know where to begin when choosing a wig. With so many styles, colors, brands, and wig types, purchasing a wig for the first time might be daunting. Understanding the distinctions between natural hair and synthetic wigs is a fantastic starting point when looking for the perfect wig. Choosing between a human hair wig vs synthetic hair is one of the most crucial decisions you will make when purchasing a wig. To determine which fiber is right for you, let’s dig into the pros and cons of human hair wigs vs. synthetic hair wigs.
I. Human Hair Wigs vs Synthetic Hair Wigs: What Are They?
Choosing a wig can be exciting yet deceivingly overwhelming. With many wig colors and a broad range of styles to choose from, the hunt for your perfect wig can begin to feel like a challenge.
Human Hair Wigs
As you probably already know, human hair wigs are made of real, natural, harvested human hair. This means that they look, move, and act just like your own hair. Cause they are made out of natural human hair so they look and feel natural, but they also have to be re-styled after washing just like natural hair. Human hair extensions are made from several varieties of human hair, including Asian, Indian, and European hair.
Synthetics Hair Wigs
II. Human Hair Wigs vs Synthetic Hair Wigs: Advantages & Disadvantages
Both types of wigs have their pros and cons: human hair wigs may be the more ‘natural’ looking option but higher in price, whereas synthetic wigs are more cost-effective but lack the styling versatility you may be wanting. By learning the pros and cons, the search for your wig will be a whole lot easier.
Human Hair Wigs
- Providing A Natural Look: Because they are made of natural human hair, these wigs feel great and can look incredibly natural.
- Texture: Human hair wigs come in a variety of textures, so you can match your own hair texture very closely.
- Styling Versatility: These wigs are also easier to style, they can be cut and colored just as you would your own hair. They can also be worn for longer periods of time. From days to a week without needing to be removed and they’ll stay on your head looking as natural as ever.
- Longevity: You could wear them while exercising and sleeping and they would still be fine. Although not recommended, they could even be worn while swimming because of their natural quality. With proper care and maintenance, these wigs can last a long time even with daily use, around a year or two.
- Cost: What most people probably see as the biggest disadvantage of human hair wigs is their price. Because they are made of real hair, they cost a lot more than synthetic wigs. But, you do get your money’s worth in the natural appearance and longevity of the wig.
- High Maintainance: Another disadvantage of human hair wigs is that they need more maintenance than synthetic ones. You have to treat them like you would your own hair. They require shampooing and conditioning regularly.
- Reacts to Weather: Just like your own hair, they also react to the environment around them. So, they can become frizzy, limp, or dry at times.
- Fragile: They can also become damaged from harsh brushing or prolonged use of heated styling tools.
Synthetic Hair Wigs
- Style Memory: Probably the most prominent benefit to synthetic wigs is that they come already styled. And have the ability to hold a certain style no matter the conditions. So even if it’s humid out, it won’t go flat or frizzy. It will retain its style.
- Cost: Synthetic wigs are relatively inexpensive. You can have several different synthetic wigs in several different styles and colors for different days.
- Low Maintenance: Because of their material and adherence to a specific style, synthetic wigs are much easier to maintain. You simply wash, dry, and then shake them out, and the wig will return to its initial style.
- Longevity: Synthetic wigs and toppers do not last as long as human hair wigs. They typically last about 4-6 months with daily wear.
- Less Versatility: Synthetic wigs cannot be straightened or curled with heated styling tools.
- Unnatural Look: Some economy or budget synthetic wigs (typically those under $100) may have an unnatural shine and look. And since it is not made of natural hair, a synthetic wig cannot be colored differently.
III. Human Hair Wigs vs Synthetic Hair Wigs: What Are The Differences?
The main difference between human hair wigs and synthetic hair wigs is the fiber from which they are constructed. Human hair wigs, as suggested in their name, are made from real human hair. Synthetic wigs, on the other hand, are made from artificial, synthetic strands.
The differences between synthetic and human hair wigs can be explained best when looking at some of the pros and cons that each of them offers.
IV. Which One Is Right For You?
While there are pros and cons to each type of wig, considering the following questions when deciding between Human Hair and Synthetic Wig can help to determine which type of hair fiber to go with.
1. What Is Your Budget?
Knowing your budget is a great way to determine which type of wig fiber to choose. Synthetic wigs can be very budget-friendly, especially if you don’t plan to wear your wig daily. Human hair wigs are typically more expensive, but they do last longer, which offsets some of the added expense.
2. What Type of Hair Loss Do You Have?
Depending on the type of hair loss that you have, your hair may or may not grow back. If you know whether or not your hair will grow back, this could help determine how long you will need to wear a wig. Because human hair wigs can last a year or more when properly cared for, women who need to wear a wig for an extended amount of time may find that to be a better option. If your hair is starting to grow back already, or you know that you will not need to wear a wig for very long, a synthetic wig that lasts 4-6 months with proper care may be the right choice for you.
3. Where Will You Wear Your Wig?
The weather can affect the style of a human hair wig, causing strands to frizz or go limp. If you live in a hot and humid or very damp climate, consider wearing a synthetic wig that will hold its style better in most climates. If you are set on a human hair wig, try a wig with shorter, more manageable strands to help you have an easier time keeping your style looking great, even in less-than-desirable weather.
4. Do You Like To Frequently Change Up Your Look?
Human hair wigs offer the versatility of changing your style from day to day. You can take human hair wigs from straight to curly and back again using heated styling tools. Many human hair wigs can also be colored by a stylist experienced in customizing human hair wigs. Synthetic wigs can be trimmed by experienced stylists to your liking, but cannot be heat styled to change the texture and cannot be re-colored. What you see is what you get when it comes to the texture, style, and color of a synthetic wig, which attributes to the ease of wearing a synthetic wig.